Friday, October 23, 2009

MIGHTY GOD

What a cool week for me. I finished training with LSI and have been assigned two students. Yay! I truly do love to teach. I consider it such an honor to get to teach US Army flight students. I think of all the jobs in the world I could be doing and I am so thankful for the one I have.
A cool point for me these next few weeks is that one of my students is from Holland. He is extraordinarily smart and has already flown several hundred hours so it will be a lot of fun.


Today I was laying out homework for both of my students and describing successful studying techniques and I mentioned studying on Sunday's. That was an easy, non-offensive, way for me to ask if they were going to be busy at church or something. They both said that they did not attend church here in Alabama, but my Dutch student mentioned that at home he attends the Church of England. He began to explain how this was similar to our Episcopal Church here in the US. I said to him, “so the Church of England has Judeo-Christian beliefs”. His eyes got really wide and he said, “I don’t know what that means, but I don’t think so”. I briefly described that it simply meant that he believes in the Hebrew God (Yahweh). He still seemed a bit puzzled, but from that point we just talked a little bit about Christ and our conversation seemed to go in another direction. As a government contractor I didn’t want to pry a whole lot, but his response to my saying “Hebrew God” really had me thinking on the way home. It had me thinking about how MIGHTY our God is and that probably many people today don’t realize that the God we serve today was THERE. He was there in every imaginable instance of all recorded time! Every laugh, every cry, every battlefield (WOW), every tear, every disaster, and every joy. Our God, the Hebrew God of Israel, Isaac, and Jacob, has always been there. Thinking about Him like this has me feeling very small, yet also very comforted. He is so MIGHTY…so very MIGHTY. There is NOTHING….no surprise, no bad boss, no financial situation, no marriage, no sickness, no family situation that He is not ABOVE. Our God is completely aware of all situations past, present, and future! Simply put, “HE IS HERE…NOW…FOR US...and ALWAYS HAS BEEN…and ALWAYS WILL BE”. All we have to do is let Him in. Isn’t that awesome!
See You Sunday,

Pastor Matt

1 comment:

  1. what an amazing story.
    and heavy realization for us to have.
    that the God didn't start with us, didn't start with or grandparents, didn't start even at Christ's birth, or with Abraham, or at creation, but our God has always been.
    I love the way the NLT put the beginning of John 1:1 "in the beginning, the Word already existed."

    great post!

    ReplyDelete